Nigel Slater's Chocolate Espresso Cake



All images © Heather Wilkinson 2012


I’ve been in a bit of a baking frenzy this week. I do try to be healthy during the week, but when the weekend comes around I can’t resist a bit of a treat. A friend had raved about this Nigel Slater recipe, and when she mentioned the words ‘dense and fudgy’ I needed no further convincing.

It was quite easy to make but I did end up using every available pan and bit of work surface in my kitchen. I was also a bit eager with the mixer while whisking my egg whites and ended up having to give the walls (and myself), a wipe-down – boy, can that stuff travel!

The finished cake had a crisp top, a soft sponge and was delightfully fudgy inside. To be honest, it was quite rich and more like the sort of cake I’d serve in thin slices after a meal, perhaps with a bit of cream or ice-cream. It was still very delish though.

There’s a link to Nigel’s recipe here.

I'm just working on another baking post, this time with a bit of a vintage theme. Watch this space...

Labels: , , ,